Spinet/Console

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Mon Oct 29 03:57:13 MST 2007

JWyatt1492 at aol.com wrote:
> Hello to All
>
>  When anything is built it has to be called something.
>
>   When the  small pianos were built if it was lower than
> 40 in. they named them Spinet.
> If they were 40 in. to 43 in. they were named Consoles.
> If they were 44 in. to 47 in. they were named Studios.
> If they were 48 in. to 50 in. they were named Three/quarter.
> If they were 51 in. or more  they  were  call  Uprights
>
> It is the size *not* the type of action that determines the name.

>   Regards,
> Jack Wyatt

First off, I do not disagree with the categories Jack has listed.

Marketing departments have different thought processes than technicians,
don't they?  My 1890s Nittinger 58-1/2" vertically oriented piano calls
itself an "Upright Concert Grand". Would that classification be >58" and
less than a cabinet?

Kimball "Consolette" was, what, 43"? What of those Lowrey two case/one
plate size PSOs?

Those size names may be what they go by in sales, but my lonely
braincell can only process the internal configuration.

Bottom of action below top of key - spinet
Bottom of action directly acted on by capstan - console
Bottom of action far enough above key to require sticker - upright.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- There comes a time in every man's life and I've had plenty of them.
- Casey Stengel