Who says E.T. is the best way to solve octave divisions?

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Tue Oct 30 05:12:53 MST 2007

Who says E.T. is the best way to solve octave divisions?Dean,

You might try educating your clients.  I agree that most home tuning clients can't tell one temperament from another, but technicians can.  If you are worried about your reputation, a brief explanation of historical temperaments might be in order, why you would choose to use one on their piano, etc.  That's what I've done every time I tune non-equal.  It takes very little time, most clients could care less (in the home) and, when you note on the invoice what temperament you tuned, when the next tech comes along, and the client says, "Yeah, he tuned it different, let me get the invoice, he wrote it down," the next tech will understand why it doesn't sound like equal.

Works for me,
William R. Monroe

  Okay, Jon Page, Ed Foote and others routinely tune in WT without being asked to or telling their customers that is what they are doing.

  Frankly, being out of the concert circuit, 99+% of my customers will have no notice of the difference. One thing that concerns me is other tuners coming behind my work and being critical of the temperament I set, judging it against an ET standard, not realizing I have deliberately set a WT.  Does anyone else worry about this?

  Many thanks,

  Dean

  Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

  PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272