What to do with....

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 06:49:36 MST 2007

On 10/30/07, Brian Doepke <bdoepke at verizon.net> wrote:

>  I have several old aluminum Dammp-Chaser rods and "brains" of the system,
> the little brown boxes.  Can they be used anymore?   What can I do with
> them?
>

> Also, I have regularly come across verticals with enlarged holes in the
> bass bridge where the string weaves through the bridge pins.  1. How
> difficult is it to epoxy the holes   and 2. about how long would it take
> for such a repair?  There are about 12 enlarged pin holes.
>

> I am aware of the procedure and the need to put the piano on its back,
> loosen the strings, slide the strings over, remove the pins, fill the holes,
> replace the pins.. ect.  What brand of epoxy has been good for this
> procedure?
>

> I am asking about the time involved so that I can give the client a
> "ballpark" cost for the operation.
>

> Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.
>

> *Brian P. Doepke, (dep-kee)*
>
> *R.P.T. (Registered Piano Technician)*
>
> *AAA Piano Works, Inc.*
>
> Piano Tuning-Repair-Purchase Consults
>
> *260.417.1298*
>
> *260.432.2043*
>
> *    www.aaapianoworks.com*

H Brian,

Answering your question about the bridge problem, I would think you could
lay the piano back and loosen the strings an about an hour to hour and a
half assuming you have a piano tipper or know where you can borrow one.
Holding the strings out of the way can be tricky I use a length of old
copper wire wire or a coat hanger will work in a pinch, to pull them to the
side and attach them to the strings that are still at pitch. Remove the
bridge pins carefully and set them in a container nearby, a jar lid works
well, to prevent loss, they disappear very easily(don't ask how I know
this<g>). I have found any good quality, fresh, hardware store epoxy that
says it is for use on wood will work just fine. I have been using such for
over 35 years in these type repairs and have had no failures or callbacks
from such. You will find those who claim that only the West system epoxy is
the one to use, however for the occasional repair such as this, having a
bulk amount of West system epoxy sitting around in my shop has never
appealed to me. Use a small brush to remove dust and debris from the site
and mix your epoxy, hopefully you've gotten the kind with more working time
than 5 minutes(hate that stuff!). Wearing some sort of vinyl/nitrile/rubber
gloves place some into each hole using toothpicks, the round kind are best.
Kind of swab it around the sides to fill in the loose holes and drop a few
drops into the bottom. Replace the pins being careful to orient them in the
proper direction, the angle/cut on the end needs to be aligned as it was
originally. Using new toothpicks, scraps of cloth, pieces of hard plastic
from package wraps, remove any squeeze out from around the pins, especially
the stringpath side. When you are satisfied you have removed as much as
possible leave it to cure until the following day. This part of the job
shouldn't take over about 2 hours, 3 at the outside.
When you return, check the string path and if there are highpoints of epoxy
file them with a needlefile, then re-attach or re-route the strings and pull
them to pitch, slowly keeping the coils tight, the enemy of bass strings is
friction, pulling them to pitch too fast! After they are at pitch make sure
the loops are flat to the plate and the coils aren't spread. Pound the
tuning in and re-tune, plan on returning at least once possibly twice for
tuning touchup. I would plan on at least 2 &1/2 hours for this part plus
whatever you charge for callbacks.

I hope this helps,

Mike

--
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing
is to not stop questioning.-- Albert Einstein

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com <http://www.ifixpianos.com/>