MH BB Pinblock

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Aug 1 21:10:54 MDT 2008

> That does beg the question: what is the actual effect on the sound.  I
> tend to agree with Ron, probably none.  But, of course, I’m open to
> other opinions.
>
> David Love

Since there's no remotely connective cause and effect
relationship that I know of between anchoring the block to the
rim, and/or the stretcher, and tone production, I'd approach
it as a non-mystical structural concern. Being a chronic over
builder, I'd anchor the sucker to what I considered to be
beyond the Minimal Murphy Factor (MMF), and minimize major
structural effects from the tone production equation, as much
as I deemed reasonable on that particular Tuesday. Like
chicken soup for a cold, it might not help, but it couldn't
hoit. The point of diminishing returns may well have already
been met by the original configuration, but the price of
unnecessarily overbuilding in this case is minimal and, I
think, justifiable if it doesn't generate other construction
difficulties. The thing is, that so much of this stuff is a
judgment call. We don't have a before the fact meter readout
of how our spot decisions will work out in subjective
impression of the finished product, so we have to go with what
we think we know by experience tempered by what we think might
possibly be, prioritized on a benefit/penalty ratio that we
can't realistically quantify without having done it. But I
still think we're way ahead of the
doitlikewe'vealwaysdoneitandholdyourtonguethusandhope approach
that has prevailed these many years.

Depending on who you talk to.
Ron N