Spinet Evaluation

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Fri Aug 1 21:56:02 MDT 2008

Matthew,
    You have had some good suggestions on your question.
As to your  "Wore out springs " guess my guess is you guessed wrong. Of course you could have investigated and flexed one of the springs with your finger to test or pulled a butt out and performed a swing test or gram resistance test. You also could have applied protek to  a butt flange which would have been revealing also.
   I think you might be overemphasizing the importance of the hammer return spring .
The late great Steve Jellen demonstrated in class a conventional action model that worked with the hammer return spring removed .
In my opinion if the action centers are free the hammer will return to the rest rail no matter what condition the spring is in.
    I hate the N.Y. Yankees (Sorry Mr. Bondi) but I will quote the great Yogi Berra again on this list.

"You can observe a lot by looking "

 The answer to your question was right in front of you. Ask the piano with some basic observations and let it tell you where the problem lies.
 Matthew , I commend you for reaching out to this list for help.
I've been in the trade for longer than you've been alive and I can honestly say that I've learned more from this list in the last several years than from any other source .
    Keep your eyes open jump in and figure it out.Ask away when you get stumped but in my opinion true learning comes from that moment when you observe,test ,experiment , fail, try again  ,and figure it out.
Trust yourself Dude,
Best wishes,
Tom Driscoll RPT

  Subject: Spinet Evaluation

    I returned from the spinet evaluation. The elbows will need to be replaced.  And with the keys that do work, when you release your finger from the key, the hammer only goes about half way back and you have to move it with your hand to return it.  I am suspecting the hammer return springs need replacing.  It didn't "feel" like tight flanges, and the hammer springs are where they're suppose to be, but I guess they just are wore out.

    Thoughts?
    Matthew