MH BB Pinblock

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Aug 2 02:24:03 MDT 2008

I disagree with Ron's recommendation to not glue the pinblock to the
stretcher. This is a very important step to stabilize the entire case
structure. You need to glue the stretcher to the pinblock so that the
stretcher does not fall off. And being that the stretcher is a very heavy
duty 1 x 3 piece of  poplar (or did some manufacturer actually put a little
piece of hard maple in there?) on most pianos, it is integral to keeping the
sides of the piano case in place. It's your basic knee-bone is connected to
the leg-bone relationship - just like the circle of sound - if the pinblock
is not secured to the stetcher, the stretcher call fall off and then the
case sides will fall off - or at least rattle a lot - or at least the sound
will leak out. Maybe the sound that travels through the pinblock "reflects"
off the stetcher and back into the pinblock and back into the strings.....

And maybe it's WAY too early in the morning. I'm going back to bed......
;-)

Terry Farrell