Steinway Duplex Placement

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Aug 2 03:03:53 MDT 2008

At 10:33 +0100 2/8/08, Richard Brekne wrote:

>Grin... nothing like cutting through the back and forths and just
>answering someones question.

Not too much trouble when you can write a few lines of Perl to
calculate the whole thing in a split second:

for (split /[\n\r]/, $text) {
   if (m~([0-9]+)-([0-9]+/[0-9]+)~) {
     my $frac = eval qq~$2~;
     my $mm = sprintf '%.1f', ($1 + $frac) * 25.4;
     print "$_\t $mm mm. $/"
   }else{
     print "$_$/";
   }
}

>  That said, these tables are contingent upon the actual speaking
>lengths being what they are supposed to be. The idea of the
>duplex('s) was to configure some pre-determined fractional
>relationship to the speaking length into the back and front lengths,
>yes ?

Of course, but I'd rather go by published measurements than fiddle
around with approximate actual measurements for an hour to make a
difference of 1/2 millimetre or so that I may or may not respect in
practice.

JD