Steinway Duplex Placement

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Aug 2 03:10:13 MDT 2008

At 04:43 -0400 2/8/08, A440A at aol.com wrote:

>Ric writes:
>
><< The idea
>
>of the duplex('s) was to configure some pre-determined fractional
>
>relationship to the speaking length into the back and front lengths, yes ? >>
>
>I don't think so.  The staggered lengths formed by the Steinway system are
>obviously not to scale, so I suppose that the overall effect was
>more important than the ratios  of individual notes to backscale.

What are you saying!  The duplex lengths are obviously intended to
be, and are in fact, in a simple numerical relationship with the
speaking length in order to produce a partial of the fundamental.
That's why they're called "tuned partials".  The staggering is when
they switch from one partial to another.

JD