Steinway Duplex Placement

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sat Aug 2 06:17:10 MDT 2008

I wrote:
> The staggered lengths formed by the Steinway system are
> >obviously not to scale, so I suppose that the overall effect was
> >more important than the ratios  of individual notes to backscale

JD replies:
> What are you saying!  The duplex lengths are obviously intended to
> be, and are in fact, in a simple numerical relationship with the
> speaking length in order to produce a partial of the fundamental.
> That's why they're called "tuned partials".  <<

In theory, fine, in practise, not so fine.    I have yet to find a Steinway
duplex bar that will accurately produce partials that are related to the notes
they are on for more than a few of the notes per bar,   the rest are wildly
off.   With individual string rests, it is possible, but with precast duplex
bars, it is more of an average than particularly matched to the strings.   To
have it exact, the notching on the distal side of the bridge would have to be
equally exact, and that just doesn't happen with Steinways.
   Walk through a dealership and see how well matched the backscale pitches
are to the speaking length. When I last did that, the ratios were all over the
map.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT

Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your budget?
Read reviews on AOL Autos.