Decapping bridges with spirit

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Aug 3 01:03:59 MDT 2008

At 17:32 -0700 2/8/08, Fenton Murray wrote:

>John,
>Very nice. I've not seen or heard of this on bridge caps. Would you
>use this procedure on a pinblock/stretcher joint?

Absolutely.  That's the way I was told everyone did it when I was
younger.  Here is the lock front removed from the same piano by the
same method.  I've taken tops and sides off uprights this way too.
The tools you use depend on the job -- sometimes you'll rely on
chisels and wedges.

At 17:57 -0700 2/8/08, David Love wrote:

>By alcohol do you mean regular isopropyl alcohol which is a mixture in some
>proportion of alcohol and water or do you mean straight denatured alcohol?

Just straight ethyl alcohol, denatured or not -- in England we call
it "meths", short for "methylated spirit".  It could be that methyl
alcohol (wood alcohol) would work as well or better; I'm intending to
order some for other purposes so I'll try it.  As to Isopropyl
alcohol, I'd have my doubts.

JD