MH BB Pinblock

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sun Aug 3 10:10:16 MDT 2008

I wrote:
 >The sound transmission is also noticeably

  different if you tap the undowelled block then clamp it to the stretcher
and tap it  again.

Ron writes:

>>It also is when you tap the undowelled block, and the same

block with just a clamp attached without the stretcher because

you've lowered the resonant frequency and raised the impedance

of the thing with the mass of the clamp. >>

Judging on the immediate evidence ( a freshly fitted block in the shop), that
is not true.  The simple added mass of the clamp on just the block doesn't
create anything at all like the audible difference when that clamp connects the
stretcher and the block.

>>A dial indicator, set up

under the stretcher and pinblock (plate firmly screwed to it)

will tell you pretty easily. How much deflection with your

weight on just the stretcher, and your weight on just the

plate/block assembly? I think you'll find the stretcher to be

considerably, possibly profoundly less rigid.<<

   I don't think that addresses the topic.  What I thought was being
discussed was the change made by connecting the block and stetcher, not comparing them
with each other as stand alone components. If you measure the deflection of
the plate/block clamped in the piano, and then  measure what happens when the
stretcher is firmly fixed to the block, I submit there will be a measurable
difference in rigidity.

     I am going to measure what a weight will do on the plate block and then,
after I finish the doweling, I will measure it again.  I am going to make a
guess that there will be a measurable difference.  I also don't know if the
deflection by weight actually provides any measure of the sound transmission
qualities of the structure, (which is the reason I dowel the stretcher)
regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits
in your budget? Read reviews on AOL Autos.<BR>
(http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000017 )</HTML>