Decapping the bridge

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun Aug 3 15:01:54 MDT 2008

I have not tried JD's method on removing bridge caps yet (although I most
definitely will on my next opportunity!), but I may have a little something
to add here.  Recently I was removing both bridges from the panel of a Mason
& Hamlin A, and did so in a very similar fashion.  I used the thin knife to
get it started, worked it along, added thicker wedges a little further out
to add stress to the joint as I worked the alcohol in (you can hear the kk,
kk, kk, as the glue lets go.)  As I got further along, I was then taking a
rubber mallot and gently working my way up in force of impact as I tapped
down on the bridge top on the side that was lifted away.  This helped to
further break the glue joint.  I was surprised how cleanly I got the bridge
off, even with the soft spruce of the panel.  Very little tearout.  Since we
are talking about breaking a maple to maple glue joint in this thread, I am
going to surmise that this added touch with the mallet would perhaps work
very well.

Let me add another question - are you lads and lassies plugging the old
bridge pin holes left in the root, or leaving them?  Particularly where you
are leaving so much of the root, that would seem to be an important question
here.

Will Truitt