FW: Crowning one rib at a time

Michael Spreeman m_spreeman at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 4 09:44:19 MDT 2008

Hi Ric, No problem. Some factories have presses with a slotted perimeter to position the ribs on the panel. They can do this because they are producing numerous boards with the same rib scale and layout.  The presses have a frame with pre-positioned arms that come down to the ribs as a unit and are inflated all at the same time. Our press consists of several individual units that are positioned one at a time. This allows us to enact changes in the rib layout from piano to piano without having to reconfigure a large fixed press. We have limited space in our shop, so another advantage to individual frames and cauls is the ability to store the presses in a small area when not being used. Also, our press frames have removable cauls which allows us to remove one caul and replace it with another of a different radius if desired.
                Michael Spreeman http://www.spreemanpianoinnovations.com

> Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 09:22:16 +0100> From: ricb at pianostemmer.no> To: pianotech at ptg.org; m_spreeman at hotmail.com> Subject: Crowning one rib at a time -- Spreeman> > Was reading about the Ravencroft instrument and have been curious about > many things since first hearing about it. On the website it says > somewhere that the soundboard is crowned "one rib at a time". I wonder > if you could be so kind as to expound on that a bit. Exactly how do you > crown a board one rib at a time ?> > Thanks if you can find the time to explain> Cheers> RicB

Get Windows Live and get whatever you need, wherever you are. Start here.