Doweled and Fully Fit Pinblocks

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Aug 4 15:49:15 MDT 2008

> Ron & Michael,
> If I understand Ron's question/point here and what you guys are talking
> about, it is why duplicate the original pinblock to stretcher glue joint
> interface when it creates an angle. Unless I'm missing something the
> only two options I can think of would be to leave a little of the old
> block intact or to remove some of the stretcher back re-cutting it to a
> 90 degree orientation to the pinblock shelf. What's the advantage, time?
> Fenton

Mostly, I responded to a mis-read, and it's no big deal either
way. You do whatever works for you. I whack the doweled in
blocks apart, and often don't get a clean separation without
taking some of that high class structural veneer with the
block. Other times, I've taken a little stretcher as well.
When I put the block back in, I've beveled the front edge of
it so it doesn't quite touch the stretcher, and insert wedges
(from underneath) made at an appropriate angle from a
previously removed block, with plenty of colloidal silica
thickened epoxy. I trim the wedges flush the next day. No
dowels, and I'm not concerned with fitting the ends.

Ron N