/steinway B

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Aug 5 12:27:07 MDT 2008

    Thanks for info.  I would plug and redrill with trepidation, but
that seems the logical choice.
    les

Hi Les

Not to worry its quite easy. Might I offer a couple pieces of advice in
doing this that may save you a bit of ergelse ? First, often (most
times) the underside of the guide hole is beveled. You can pre-bevel
your plug to accommodate this. Secondly, and this goes rather hand in
hand with the first, make the plug flush with the bottom of the guide
rail when you glue it. You can easily sand smooth from the top and dab a
brush of Shellack over the top when finished. Third, swab the inside of
the newly drilled hole with shellack just before you run your bushing
cloth through. It will let dry for a bit and trim excess with a very
sharp razor knife... I like buying those use and throw away exacto like
thingys available at most hardware stores myself.

I have it written somewhere, but I cant find it right off hand, that the
diameter of the bushed hole should be about a half a mm larger then your
damper wire. So you want to figure your bushing cloth thickness and this
into the diameter of the hole you drill.

I suppose you know all this already... but thought it might be good to
throw it out on the table anyways.

Cheers
RicB