/steinway B

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Aug 5 17:20:24 MDT 2008

Porritt, David wrote:
> This comes up from time to time.  Why would you glue, shellac or put
> anything sticky on the guide rail?  You’ll curse yourself the next time
> you have to rebush the rail.

I've rebushed plenty of previously goobered up guide rails,
including the one below. That's the "before", incidentally
<G>. They actually drill out and clean up out fairly easily,
even when it's Titebond.

>I have never glued the felt and have never
> had a bushing move.

I haven't had to replace many that I've poked out, but those I
have made an impression that I took personally. So I secure
new ones. I like the shellac thing too. I'm going to alcohol
and water size the bushings anyway, so I'd just as well get
some bushing to wood adhesion in the process.

>Of course this is with the single felt bushings and
> I use the felt that’s made to fit when you just pull it through the
> hole.  When I encounter those awful double bushed rails, I replace them
> with new ones and drill for the single felt.

What? Removing features??!! Yea, me too.
Ron N