More pinblock stuff/safety

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Wed Aug 6 19:25:24 MDT 2008

Will,
What has 3 eyes, and 19 fingers? Two old fa*** in a piano shop. I think we're both saying safety first. I've gotten very serious about safety in the last 10 years or so and would love to see the subject pursued on a thread. I hope I'm corrected on some of this and learn something.
More on the router in this inherently dangerous procedure.
Router should be:
Variable speed ( I think this bit is limited to about 12000 rpm )
2 handles
An additional safety feature depending on your preference is a foot operated switch.
Also, on the subject of ear, eyes, and lung.
This stuff is critical not just to protect these three body parts but for overall quality and safety. Think about a guy using a grinder with no eye protection, he closes his eyes and looks away from the work and he grinds away. How do I know that? 8 years ago I had a piece of wire off the wire wheel pulled out of my eye. Face shield for this stuff, a good one. Safety promotes quality work because your environment becomes controlled and you can see and focus on your work with out being scared of what your doing. I was in the hospital a few months ago with a respiratory infection that went into pneumonia that started to affect my heart, all from working in someone else's shop for a few days with filthy air and no mask. I can't fool around with this stuff anymore or I'm done. I'm putting in a cyclone with .5 micron filters as per Terry F. recommendation from ClearVue Cyclones.
You've got to have rules like:
Never leave a band saw running while you go do something else, you don't hear it because the vacs on, you don't see the blade because it's moving. Don't clear the pieces off the table till the blade stops. I love power tools, I enjoy overcoming the potential danger by learning how to safely use the tool.
With a lot of tools the most dangerous thing the tool can do is kick back, knowing and understanding how that happens and how to avoid it will greatly increase safety.
I'm done.  For now.
Fenton