Getting straight

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Aug 6 22:44:18 MDT 2008

At 18:24 -0400 6/8/08, A440A at aol.com wrote:

>...I have used the brakes on the small wire reels to straighten the wire, but
>they don't do a very consistant job, leaving me with thoughts of small ball
>bearing wheels with grooves on them and pulling the wire through as I use it.
>I don't want to re-invent this thing, so if anybody has already developed a
>workable device and found that it makes a difference, how about posting
>something to the list on how well it works and is it worth the trouble.

I always straighten the wire using a 14-roller straightener.  Here is
a picture of one similar to mine from
<http://www.read-eurowire.com/sjogren.cfm>

If you google for "wire straightener" you will find several American
suppliers.  When I bought mine 23 years ago I remember it cosy over
$800, and I remember that because I thought it grossly excessive.  I
am sure you can get one on America for far less.  This sort of device
is used throughout the wire industry, so there is no re-inventing to
do.

JD