Touch design for concert pianists

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Aug 7 03:45:28 MDT 2008

Don't take my comments as the final word on action balancing, as I am not
real experienced with all of that - but I'm learning. And of course, that
won't stop me from commenting on your situation!

You've two overall sources for action "weight" - i.e. how heavy the action
feels to the player.

One is the downweights as you have measured. Yours are perhaps at the light
end of what is generally considered very desirable - likely a young girl
with small hands isn't going to want an action with much higher values.

The other issue affecting the action feel is mass. Mass in the keys (lead)
and mass in the hammers (size, density, cores, trimming, leading - and shank
mass). If I were you, I'd measure key front weights (FW) and hammer/shank
strike weights (SW) and see where these values fall on the Stanwood charts.
That would be a good first step in evaluating if/where your action mass
falls in the "normal" range. I find such an evaluation to be invaluable.

Another very quick and dirty way to get a very rough idea of action mass is
to look at touchweight (down and up weight) and key leading. If you have
"normal" or desirable touchweight (which you do) AND you have key leading
tapering from three full sized leads in the bass keys tapering to zero leads
in the high treble keys, you likely a nice action that would feel good to
most pianists. If you have more or less leads, you MAY have an action that
is too light or heavy.

If you have 3 to 0 leading and the touchweight you describe, it may well be
that this piano teacher is blinded by his own preferences. Or, I suppose it
may be his philosophy that a young pianist needs to hit the (finger) weight
machine......

Hope this helps your thought process.

Terry Farrell