Cutting rib radii

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Aug 7 07:08:01 MDT 2008

I know it is done that way but when you bend wood I don't think it really
bends in a uniform radius, it tends to bend more in the middle and less out
toward the ends, I guess the shape is more parabolic.  Also, each piece of
wood will probably bend somewhat differently.  Since some of the curves I'm
using are fairly tight (especially on the short ribs) I'd prefer to use a
preshaped caul of some type.  The jig set up to translate the shape of that
caul to the rib with a router (rather than using a bandsaw and sandpaper) is
really the question.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com