Fickle pianists was : Action weights and "concert pianist" advice

Rob Kiddell atonal at telusplanet.net
Thu Aug 7 13:59:00 MDT 2008

As a follow-up to Ric's experience, I've always maintained that the sure-fire cure all to action, voicing & tuning problems is to replace the fallboard with a new one with a fresh 'Steinway & Sons' decal installed. If it's a non-S&S piano, suddenly it's no longer 'harsh and tinny', it becomes 'sintillating & resonant'. The action is no longer 'heavy', it becomes 'firm'. Unisons are no longer 'wavering', they're 'colourful'.
If it is a S&S piano, it now  has been updated with newer parts, and now performs completely differently!

Seriously, I have witnessed good piano players abandon a perfectly good C7 in favour of a seriously tired S&S D at a concerto competition practice a few years ago, They all were unanimous in their praise of the D, as miserable an instrument as it was.
That helped me formulate my fallboard replacement theory as a repair technique.

Regards,
Rob Kiddell RPT
Edmonton , Canada