Touch design for concert pianists

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 7 15:23:47 MDT 2008

Stephane-

If you must make the change, I favor adding clips to the hammer shanks.
My reasoning is that this is "working weight," i.e. the effort of the
performer is converted into an accelerated mass that strikes the string.
There is a relationship between the effort and the sound produced.
It is also easy to add, easy to remove, and you can adjust the weight by
sliding it along the shank.
Adding weight to the key backs just makes it hard to play.

Ed S.