Cutting rib radii

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Aug 7 20:22:38 MDT 2008

Is it true that the tighter the radius the stiffer it is?  I don't think
that's true.  When I'm setting up rib deflection calculations I don't
concern myself with a change in stiffness that a tighter radius will bring,
rather it is the total amount of crown for a given length of rib and the
total amount of deflection that I consider.  A rib of given dimension will
deflect the same number of mm's for a given load, but the amount of
remaining crown will vary as a function of how much you had to begin with.
That's the reason you might consider adjusting the radius.

As far as how important the type of curve produced is, I defer to those who
have commented that it doesn't probably make much difference.  Also, in a
compression style board, I would imagine the curve formed by the rib being
bent by panel expansion is not a perfect circular arc.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com