Yamaha CF appraisal

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Aug 8 15:30:12 MDT 2008

Montana ?? CF I ??  Reasonable ok condition ??  Ah... in this case I
think 1 + 1 + 1 = about 15000 USD realizable market value tops.

Probably really worth more... but you are going to get lucky to get 15
grand for it me thinks.

Cheers
RicB

    Hello list,

    I'm often asked to appraise living room pianos and have no trouble
    with all of
    that.  Now, for the first time, I've been asked to appraise (for
    retail value)
    a concert piano, a 1979 Yamaha CF.  I thought it prudent on my part
    to get a
    few thumbnail estimates from youse guys.

    Herewith are, it is hoped, some succinct details:
    CASE:  very good, considering its age.  No chips except on pedal
    lyre where
    the rods enter.  Has a cover which is meticulously kept clean itself.

    SOUNDBOARD:  No major cracks, one repaired minor crack.  No rib
    separation.
     Two very small cracks beginning.  BTW, it has a dual reservoir DC,
    always
    plugged in.

    BRIDGES:  Excellent.

    PINBLOCK:  Good.  Some jumpy pins, but not excessively so.

    ACTION: Good, though inconsistent and not worthy of being labeled
    "concert
    prepped"  (they don't budget for that!  I'm not the tech they use,
    but I know
    the guy who is, and basically all he ever does is tune it twice for
    each
    concert)

    HAMMERS: Very good.  Bright, but it IS a concert instrument, right?

    STRINGS:  Excellent, though there is a little "buzzy-ness" to D2.

    DAMPERS:  Very Good.

    PEDALS: Excellent

    TONE:  Bright but consistent.

    STATE OF TUNE:  10 cents flat.  This is a cause of concern, I'd
    think.  What
    with the DC and being tuned 30 or more times per year, I wonder WHY
    it would
    go so flat?

    Comes with a matching adjustable artist's bench.

    I know my region of the world (Montana) depresses pianos' values
    somewhat, but
    anybody who has experience in selling similar instruments who could
    just take
    a minute to give a ballpark guess would have my appreciation.

    I'll also being calling the Missoula, MT Yamaha dealer, who is a
    friend, to
    get his input.

    Thanks in advance,

    John Dorr, RPT