Customer Complaint on Tuning

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sat Aug 9 04:15:07 MDT 2008

Hi Bill:

No, I don’t think so.  I have never been one to stretch my octaves in the
last octave or so the way  some technicians do.   She’s not the kind of
player who would rifle off the arpeggios, within which pitch discrimination
shows itself most prominently.   And she wasn’t complaining about the
tuning, but about the piano being way too bright.  This when I’ve got the
piano already voiced down to the tired marshmallow level, and out of step
with the lower half of the piano, which is much brighter and suits her fine.
What my audiologist friend Laura said seemed to ring true for the kind of
response my customer was having.  My sessions at the piano where I was
addressing her concerns were always very friendly, but precise and probing
in trying to get to what she was hearing.

None of us want to get old, or admit that we have lost some of the things
that are most important to us and our individual identities.  I can think of
my father still driving the last few years before he passed away.  Scared me
to death  to get in the car with him, his vision was so poor and his
response time so very slow.  Should he have been driving?  Probably not, and
I encouraged him not to.  But his driving was just fine according to him.
It’s called Denial, and he does not lack for company in this infirmity of
aging – most men respond this way.

Treat our customers with kindness and respect, and we can leave our egos out
of this, since we know the problem is not us.  Satisfy them if we can, and
otherwise let it be.  None of us are getting any younger, and  too soon we
may be in the position where others are making similar judgments about us.

Will