keytop planer

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Sun Aug 10 13:55:45 MDT 2008

Wait, wait, wait a minute. How is changing out a plastic or ivory veneer that is damaged with a slightly thicker and stronger one ruining a keyset? The fact that .030 or .040 of wood is removed to provide a new glue surface and to retain original or to optimize a key height hardly sounds like a violation of our code of ethics. There are all kinds of different keytop materials to choose from out there, each with it's own method of retrofitting, and each applicable to different pianos in different environments for people of different tastes.
Fenton