Prius mileage

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Mon Aug 11 15:15:06 MDT 2008

I don't get why people buy new cars to save money. You can get a decent
Honda for $5000 and plan on putting $1000 into it for new brakes or
whatever. It'll get in excess of 30 mpg which puts the cost at $200/mpg- way
under anything on that list. My son is driving a '94 Accord we got several
years ago for $3300. It had 275k on it then and has nearly 400k on it now
and is still worth nearly $2000. Other than exhaust, brakes and tires it has
required no major maintenance. We had an '84 Accord before that with nearly
the same story only we got that one for free because it needed new brakes
and was pretty ugly.

Buying a car like this makes it disposable. If you wreck it, throw it away
and buy another. It eliminates the need for full coverage insurance saving
even more money. Plus, here in Indiana, newer cars come with huge excise tax
fees when it comes time to purchase license plates- like $1000/year.
Counting insurance and excise fees that new car is going to cost
$200-$300/month more than an older, thoroughly road tested vehicle without
even taking into account the initial purchase price difference.

Why take a chance on an un-tested expensive new car? If you are looking to
save money then a new car is definitely not the way to go.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802