Rates, etc

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Mon Aug 11 21:21:05 MDT 2008

 Matthew,

I have a minimum service call charge, which, in addition to covering me showing up, would cover 1/2 hours worth of time..? If it's just a binding keyslip, I do as Patrick suggests and give them their moneys worth by adjusting pedals, touching up unisons, etc., etc. for 1/2 hour, then leave.?

Having a minimum service call charge helps establish that yes, they will pay you something for your time, no matter how little time might be required for the job they called about.

I have all of my rates posted on my website and listed at the bottom of my invoice in order to eliminate any feeling the customer might have about being ripped off, or that I have a sliding scale.

If it's an old upright, I can almost guarantee you'll get more of a repair than you bargain for, like broken brass flanges, broken shanks, etc. This is just the kind of situation where you will benefit from an hourly rate.? But you have to be fair about it.? Don't charge full pop for something that takes longer than it should.? G Piano Works Repair Guide is good as a guideline for average time for common repairs.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Dave Stahl Piano Service
dstahlpiano at sbcglobal.net
dstahlpiano.net