Rates, etc

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 12 08:04:22 MDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 7:26 AM, Jim <jim at jimkinnear.com> wrote:

>  Every now and then, this topic ( of rates ) comes up, and there are the
> usual bevy of cautions, warnings etc about Trade commissions, price
> discussions etc, mostly I think  of concern to the US practitioners.
>
> I can not believe, that with all the goings on in both our countries
> around, say the price of fuel,  and how every station mirrors every other
> one, matching every increase within minutes, that there would be any concern
> about a few crusty old piano tuners ( self included here ) having  a general
> discussion about what might be a fair cost . .  Note I said 'discussion',
> not an oath to agree to all charge the same !!! . . . Leave that to the gas
> companies.
>
> John, in far away Nova Scotia, does anyone in the provincial gov't actually
> give two hoots what you charge for your services??
> I don't think there is anyone here in Ontario, other than the tax guys who
> want 'their share', that even knows, let alone is watching closely . . .
>
> Are there gov't groups in the US that have nothing better to do ??
>
> Amazing . . .
>
> regards
>
> Jim Kinnear
> Collingwood, ON

Are there gov't groups in the US that have nothing better to do ?? Jim
Kinnear asks

I'm here to tell there are! My neighbor who is 74 years old owns a
lake cottage built 40 years ago, which he bought 23 years ago. The county
has been flying over his property taking aerial photographs so they can
micro-manage how he cares for it. They insisted he move a neat pile of
bricks INSIDE, told him to get rid of a few old tires he had on his boat
dock, he uses them for boat fenders, they have holes drilled in them so they
don't hold any water for mosquito breeding. He was told he'd have to get rid
of an 8X10' slab of concrete because it was too near the water, he showed
them a date of 1961 scratched into the corner of the slab when it was poured
and they agreed to "grandfather" it in. Now they are insisting he buy a
building permit for his pump house on the property, a 10' by 10' structure
that was there when he bought it, he has refused. I told him to make them
prove to him that he has to, by law, obtain a permit for a structure he
didn't erect. If they can do that then he should do it, I'm certain they
can't!

So yes BIG BROTHER is watching, the Bill of Rights has been abrogated in the
name of "The War on Terror" and "Homeland Security".

To quote Elmer Fudd "Be vewwy, vewwy caweful"!
<grin>

Mike

--
I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work.
Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com