Keytop Planer? I Use My Miter Saw/w Jig from Joe Goss

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 12 07:35:38 MDT 2008

I've been following the thread about prepping keys for replacement keytops.

I had used my table saw but was unhappy with my results.

I noticed Joe Goss had a Jig for a miter saw on his Mother Goose Tools site
so I wrote to him for the plans. Actually 2 jigs one for tops, one for
fronts.

It turned out he had no plans for the keytop jig just the keyfront jig
and just some great pics but I persevered and built the jigs. I had to guess
at dimensions but the pics were so good(thanks Penny)that I had no trouble
doing so

It works very well, quite quickly, gives a uniform cut to each top and
front. You can adjust it to the thickness of the intended keytop material so
you aren't cutting too deep or too much off of the front.
I had the saw so my investment consisted of some scrap wood from my shop, a
few dollars worth of hardware and a good 96 tooth narrow kerf trim blade for
the saw so I got a very clean, precision cut.

For those who swear by the Wagner Safe-T-Planer, guard it well and maintain
it well, from all I could find, it is no longer available.

Thank you Joe and Penny for all your help,
Mike

--
I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work.
Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com <http://www.ifixpianos.com/>