Center Pin

tom tomtuner at verizon.net
Fri Aug 15 00:57:39 MDT 2008

Would a pin vise work as well?

Matthew,

            No. You have to place the pin in the vice, tighten, and then
push the pin into the bushing and bird’s eye with no support on the back
side.

Then if you didn’t break the unsupported flange the vice would have to be
removed in order to push the pin (that the vice may have nicked) the rest of
the way in.

I was in the shop tonight and had to repin a few centers and Bob’s post
below is exactly my technique. Finding the center of the bird’s eye is not
difficult and with Bob’s described technique you should have no problem in
centering the pin through the second bushing.

            My suggestion is to get hold of some old parts or a complete
action from a junker and repin away for an hour or so. At piano tuning
school we used to sit around after hours and tie knots or remove broken
shanks or repin action centers on old junk actions for practice. Everyone
develops their own way of doing these types of tasks and practice will
develop a method that works for you and the muscle memory will come along
for the ride.

Best,

Tom Driscoll

P.S.  Do you have the Maninno reamers?

BobDavis88 at aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 8/14/2008 6:01:53 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, Tom
Driscoll (HYPERLINK "mailto:tomtuner at verizon.net"tomtuner at verizon.net)
writes:

....Once I find the center of the hole I use the popular inserter-extracter
tool to push the pin into the birdseye then take care to keep the other
bushing in line with the pin as I SLOWLY push the pin through...

I find that it helps to "nibble" the pin through. By this I mean
push-release-push-release instead of pushing through in one smooth motion.
When pushing through in one motion, the pin can get a little off course if
the tool isn't PERFECTLY lined up and the pin PERFECTLY centered on the face
of the pusher. It can enlarge some part of the bushing. Pushing in tiny
increments resets the pin on the face of the pusher and pushes it
straighter.

Bob Davis

.

Checked by AVG.