Center Pin

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Aug 15 04:17:58 MDT 2008

Yes, that's what I do.

I use the side of the nose, rather than hair (which I've little of anyway!)

Hair always stuck me as being a bit more variable, as such a variety of
gels, oils, lotions and ointments have been used for hair over the years.

Skin too, of course, may have  creams or ointments on it.  In any event, I
don't think the quantity of molecules of skin lipids (fats) present on the
surface of the pin could do any longterm harm. But it does, I feel, subtly
help the centre pin to slide in.  I use fingers to start it then go slowly
with the centre pin tool. Holding and pushing the pin with finger and thumb,
you can feel if you're hitting the wood of the jack rather than the
birdseye.

Best regards,

David.

"There have been discussions on this list that included recommendations of
wiping the center pin through greasy hair or on the side of one's nose to
provide good lubrication.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, IL"