modify legs for new casters

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Fri Aug 15 09:19:06 MDT 2008

Hello list,
I have been trying to modify three legs for new casters. It required that I cut the legs short by 1.2 inch to maintain hight(done). In addition it requires that I enlarge the existing  .86 inch hole to 2 1/8 inch at .25 inch deep.
In addition the existing .86 hole needs to be deeper by 1.5+ inch but it is oversize by about .085 inch.
I have tried using my drill press and a forstner bit for the large shallow hole but could find no way to secure the leg enought to get it started.
I did attach 1/8 birch plywood to the surfact to locate the center and attempt to get the big bit started but the ply keeps splitting.
Possibly my new bit from Harbor Freight needs to be better quality?
Any ideas would be helpful.
Gene