Customer Complaint on Tuning

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Fri Aug 15 17:53:03 MDT 2008

Hi Terry,

No sarcasm intended, but if this is your first experience with a "nutty"
customer, then you've been lucky indeed. Many if not most on this list have
been down this road more than once, but fortunately the percentage of times
is very, very low. We all have our war stories, and they are a part of this
wild and wooly little industry of ours.

The consensus on this list is that your customer's credentials in many ways
are highly questionable, that she is grief and more grief, cut your losses.
I don't mean to sound contrary to these thoughtful suggestions, but just to
take the other side for the moment.

Although your narrative drips with emotion and angst from both parties
involved (and again, I understand), what seems to missing is a reasonably
clear sense of your customer's complaint. Exactly what does she mean when
she said," hear that? It's wrong! It's all wrong!" She says her students are
complaining: ask to talk to those students. Ask her to get them on the
phone. I'm only half serious, it's too late now, but it would have been a
good call when it first came up.

There are four real possibilities here: 1) she in fact does "hear" something
obnoxious, whether you do or not, but was unable to adequately communicate
it to you; 2) a blind test of several pianists and techs would insist, as
you do, that she is mistaken; 3) she knows full well that she is trying to
pull a fast one; 4) she is a nut case.

If we leave all excuses about the piano's deficiencies aside, you are sure
that you have exhausted all reasonable attempts to solve number one, then
this issue is dead, and any further pursuit is wasteful unless you want to
you). But you need to be convinced, not the rest of us on this list, but
you, that you have exhausted number 1, within reason (nobody has all the
answers). As I'm sure you know, these can be amazing learning experiences,
the kind that have paved the way for most of us when we later found
ourselves in a similar tricky situation, but now with a fine piano and
pianist neither of which could easily be dismissed.

Many years ago, my first encounter like this involved a lady who referred to
her piano keys as do, re, mi, fa, so, la, ti, do. She complained about note
fa. Was it tuning? I showed her how it fit correctly with other intervals.
Still no good. So, with her standing by I tuned the note to where she said,
"Yes, I think that is where it should be."  Now it sounded awful with other
intervals and she had to agree. Yet back where the note blended, she still
wasn't satisfied. So was it the unison only? The particular voice of that
unison? The harmonic structure of that note only? The stretch of my
temperament? All these things?

Then there is the "hanky trick" -- one of my favorites, especially on
uprights. Place an ordinary thin handkerchief in front of the strings and
play the notes. The sounds will be mellow but discernable. If the customer
generally sparks up and says, "Oh, you know it's a bit too dull, but it is
noticeably more pleasing to my ears", then you have a voicing issue.
However, if you were to try this trick with your customer now, and she likes
the idea, I would not proceed if I were you as the chances of even more
frustration are lurking, and it is here that I agree with many of the List
postings.

As to my do, re, mi customer? I was too green at the time to exhaust number
1, and I was happy to refund her money. And with a clear head I went out and
got some lunch --- a terrible tuna sandwich on a normal day, but it tasted
real good that day.

Refunds are generally a bad idea, but not all cases are the same. Sleep on
it and follow your best sense of things.

All the best.

PS to the List . if refunds are going to be the new thread, then please make
it so.

Nick Gravagne, RPT

Piano Technicians Guild

Member Society Manufacturing Engineers