help a beginner measure mc in wood with confidence

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Sat Aug 16 15:09:20 MDT 2008

  Gene,
      We bought an expensive dial type hygrometer with a calibration certificate from Germany, we also have less expensive digital ones that we bought from Radio Shack both give RH and Temperature. I have found that they are all within a few percentage points of each other in accuracy, however, I admit I don't know which one is more accurate, the expensive one or the el-cheapos, but their close to each other.

  <Probably an average of all meters would then be close enough?

       If I understand what your saying in your post, your calculating the MC with the RH (via a Hygrometer) and weighted samples. In my opinion you need a moisture meter, We use one that is accurate down to 5% MC, I don't know what MC you want to attain, but 5% is pretty low.  We keep our shop at 35-40% RH and 66-70 degrees year round in an attempt to be as stable as possible. When our wood has acclimated for a while, the actual MC and EMC (via the chart) are close, but never the same. I admit we have never tried the oven-drying method for determining MC buy the weight, but have oven-dried wood for determining shrinkage based on MC.

  <Yes, I use a cheap hygrometer with temperature and refer to the EMC chart and compare this to the weighted samples - so far I am unable to establish uniformity in measuring %mc but there is a corelation.

      For our purposes we don't need the MC as low as the Bellymen requires so we find that a moisture meter with it's range of accuracy is well within acceptable limits.
      Hoadley is great and easy reading, if you want a supplement to that look at the website for the U.S Department of Agriculture, Forest Service they have excellent books on this type of stuff that you can download as a PDF for free.

  < Thanks, I do visit the U.S. DOA  site frequently.

      I have to ask where are you that you need a humidifier to get the RH up to 40%? We need DEhumidifiers to get the RH to 40% and you can tolerate a temperature of 95 degrees F?

  <Northern California foothills - east of Sacramento. Hot and dry - outside can get up to 105 F -sometimes higher - with rh in the lo-twenties to teens.
  My shop is something that my wife calls her garage. I have a swamp box that helps keep the temperature down a bit and the rh up so things don't dry out too much.
  When I need to address things like setting bearing or measuring crown is when I need control of the mc in the wood accurately. Do not have a hot box set up yet.
  When I dry my panels down I do it with the panel on sawhorses, covered with blankets and an oil filled space heater underneath. The weighted samples are in there with the panel. I only dry down to 6%-6.5% mc. However, if the shop swamp box is left off, the wood will get below that without any help so dry down strategy changes depending on the time of year and what else is in the shop - winters are relatively mild around 30-40f and 45-70%rh.

  Gene

  Blackstone Valley piano
  Michael A. Morvan
  76 Sutton Street