help a beginner measure mc in wood with confidence

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Sat Aug 16 17:50:54 MDT 2008

  Gene,
      Good luck, it's nice to read everyone's suggestions because there is always something to learn. There are about a dozen or more Bellymen that contribute to this list and I can't wait to see their responses, your climate is different than in New England> I have a cousin that lives in Los Angeles and he mentioned the "swamp box" once and I had no idea what he was talking about. Is that some type of air conditioner?
   Mike

  Hi Mike,
  The swamp box is an evaporative cooler. Water is recirculated through a mesh type of straw media that the air from the fan must pass through. The dry air flow evaporates water and cools the air flow plus provides moisture to the air. The cooling is the same effect as getting out of the pool on a hot day and you feel cold for a while till you dry off. It can drop the temp 10 to 15 degrees and the hotter and drier the air the better it works.
  Gene