Customer Complaint on Tuning

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Sat Aug 16 19:34:29 MDT 2008

I've worked on two assumptions:

1.  The customer is always right.
2.  The customer is frequently uneducated.

I think for most people "Tune the piano."  means "Make it sound good."  For piano technicians, "tune the piano" means stretch (or relax) the strings, set the pins, etc. until the beats are arranged properly, and the pitch is +/- 1 cent in the middle of the piano with a possibility of .01cents with the use of an ETD as proof.

Therefore, if the piano doesn't "sound good" to the customer, as far as she is concerned, it isn't "in tune", even if we can show that it is.    So, the next problem is to find out why it doesn't sound good to her.

This is where the real art of our profession comes into play.  Everything sounds different to different people.  To me, making my customer happy with her piano is what makes my job fun.

Diane

Customer Complaint on Tuning
Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Aug 16 05:56:23 MDT 2008