help a beginner measure mc in wood with confidence

Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano juderev at verizon.net
Sat Aug 16 19:45:42 MDT 2008

Moisture meters like any other device we use are only as handy as they work.
There are some good ones on the market but are calibrated to measure boards
of a specific species. Usually the sampling takes place at about 3/4" within
the board, which as I figure puts us at about 3/8" past the other side of a
typical soundboard panel. You can spend some dough to have Wagner custom
calibrate one of their pinless jobbies and they'll work about as good as any
of the other methods that have been posted. Choose your poison.

My beef is more with the hygrometers. I bought one of those fancy Luffe
instruments along with the certificate. By the time I figured out the darn
thing didn't move out of a range of 35-40%RH, it was too late to return. At
least I can use the certificate for shop toilet paper.

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
Lowell, Massachusetts
(978) 323-4545