Size of pins for Steinway B

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Aug 17 01:23:03 MDT 2008

A pianist in South America has ordered bass strings, wire etc. from
me for a 1958 Hamburg Steinway B.  He also wants wrestpins.  He has
had his tuner remove a pin and has himself taken careful measurements
according to my instructions, from which I can be pretty sure the
original pins are 7.20 x 60.  Unfortunately I am not there to judge
the feel of the original pins.

The piano looks, from many photos he has sent me, to be in pretty
good shape and the original bass strings are made in the old fashion,
with whipped ends, which suggests to me that things were still being
done properly in 1958 and that the chances are the wrestplank is also
good.

If I had the piano here I might decide that a jump to 7.25 mm pins
would be adequate, but for safety's sake I am inclined to send him
pins of 7.30 mm.

What do you think?

JD