Customer Complaint on Tuning

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Sun Aug 17 10:05:00 MDT 2008

Israel and Joel,

I can't help but jump in on this one. Fortunately it all happened at the
same visit for me, not a callback. A true story.

I just finished tuning an old but decent upright for a weathered and wise
cowboy on the West Side of Albuquerque, got the unisons as clean as I could.
I start playing the piano and the old cowboy appears in the doorway ---
large Stetson and belt buckle, thumbs in his waistband, a large shoulder
leaning on the doorjamb and, with a thick western drawl, says, "My, my, that
sure sounds purrty. And I sure do like that classical music sometimes."

I was playing Misty.

I said something like, yes sir, the old workhorse tuned up pretty well and
started to pack my tools.

"There's only one thang wrong with it", he continued and moved out of the
doorway.

"Oh, what's that?" I asked.

"You took the twang out."

"The twang?"

"Yes sir, the twang. You know, that honky-tonk thang like ya hear in the old
western movies."

"OHHH, The TWANG!"  I continued, "Well sir, as piano tuners we go to no
small trouble to take the twang out. In fact, it is a big part of what we
do."

He chuckled, tipped his hat back a bit and suggested, "You mean you good
folks maybe ought call yourselves 'de-twangers'."

(I actually considered pitching this idea to Jack Wyatt and my friends down
in Texas).

He continued, "Listen, I know you worked hard, and the pianna sounds real
nice for your kind of music, but I sure miss that twang. Can you put it
back? I'd be happy to pay more if your need it."

By now I was grinning ear to ear, and the old cowboy too, who was beginning
to look like John Wayne. And who can refuse John Wayne when he puts on the
charm? I said, "No problem, this one's on the house! Drinks all around!" And
I knocked all the left string unisons slightly out. He played some old
western tune, slapped his knee and kicked his boot heels on the wood floor
and was happier than a pig in slop (or something like that).

The pianna NEVER sounded this good! He insisted I leave my card. He was
going to tell his friends about the de-twanger he had had good occasion to
visit with.

I never heard from him again. But I'm sure the pianna aged beautifully as
the months and years went by.

Respectfully,

Nick Gravagne, RPT

Piano Technicians Guild