Steinway L Desk Glide Bass Side

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sun Aug 17 10:54:17 MDT 2008

David writes:
<< > On a Steinway L the bass end desk glide is in the way of getting the
plate
> out.  I'm curious how others deal with this.  I have my own method but I'd
> like to know yours.  On the L (remember) it's not those little strips, it's
an entire wedge
shaped piece that's attached to the side of the case. >>

Greetings,
    On the model L, it is usually necessary to take off the slide,(which I
do, usually easily enough, by rapping them on the top with a hardwood block, cut
exactly square and held tight to the side as I rap.  Going from end to end,
it is easy enough to shock the glue joint apart.
   I have never had to remove the bolster that is attached to the side,  but
remember, on an L, with the cast in plate horn that sits in the cavity, the
bass end of the plate has to be lifted first, even though it seems
counter-intuitive. Just set up your hoist so that the bass end lifts first.   The plate was
installed after the bolster was attached to the body, so the plate will pivot
past it with just the right angle.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits
in your budget? Read reviews on AOL Autos.<BR>
(http://autos.aol.com/cars-Volkswagen-Jetta-2009/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00030000000007 )</HTML>