Tuning Lever Design

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Aug 17 21:40:50 MDT 2008

WillSmith.AllenTX wrote:
> Please explain to this beginner why tuning levers are not configured to
> pull at a right angle to the pin. It seems to me that the angled design
> just creates a lot of unnecessary pin gymnastics. All that's needed for
> a right angle twist is a longer socket on the handle.
>
> Other mechanical fasteners are attacked at 90 degrees...why not tuning
> pins?
>
> Awaiting your enlightenment.
> Will

If you want a guaranteed no flex pin turning approach that
clears the capo, get yourself a T hammer, and learn to tune
with three hands. Otherwise, pay attention and observe how
hammer position and any of the virtually infinite directions
in which you can apply force affect pin flex, and adjust your
methods to accommodate. A piano can be tuned with pretty much
any available configuration of tip and lever length, and
angle. It's a matter of the operator working it in a manner
appropriate to the configuration. It is, after all, considered
to be an acquired skill.
Ron N