Young Chang lyre supports buzzing follow up

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 19 08:14:02 MDT 2008

Hi Bruce,

One thing that just came to mind is that you might insert a rubber grommet in the hole at the bottom of the lyre. This would act as a spring so you would have support and maybe would prevent the top part from buzzing. I don't like the glue solution since it might interfere with  future adjustments of the braces.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC

I cannot say that I have great confidence in this being a long lasting repair.  On this instrument, I do not want to replace the supports with traditional lyre sticks.  It is on a raised stage in a small theatre and I do not want to drill into the poly finish.  The pedal lyre is at face level for the audience and anything I do down there will be quite visible.  I may epoxy that hinge joint so it cannot move.  Is there any reason it needs to be hinged aside from factory production ease?  What has worked for you?

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT
bdornfeld at earthlink.net
North Shore Chapter