More pinblock stuff - an alternate tool

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue Aug 19 14:01:32 MDT 2008

Nick
  Did you buy this tool? & does it ride on the top of the block?
  Thanks
  Dale

Dean and List,

Thanks for supplying the web link for the DeWalt saw. I assume that the shoe of this saw, unlike that of an ordinary reciprocating saw, and due to its “flush cutting” capability is able to ride directly on the pinblock (not on the stretcher top) and still make a cut only 1/8” from the stretcher. Did I get that right? The photo of the tool found at the link below suggests bulk and girth that would not really allow that due to the height of the stretcher from the top of the block.

Also, does the tool have a “lock-on” switch? I like that this tool is relatively lightweight, compact and powerful; and if it indeed rides on the top of the block there is much to recommend it.

Specs from Amazon:

Product Description

Amazon.com
This is a solid, well-built machine. One great feature is the 4-position blade clamp allows for flush cutting and increased versatility for vertical and horizontal cutting operations. The blade clamp is keyless with lever action for quick and easy blade changing. The 10 amp motor has lots of power with a 1-1/8-inch blade stroke and 0-2800 strokes per minute. The variable speed trigger provides precise control; there is a fixed adjustable shoe for depth of cut control. The included heavy-duty kit box makes this a great value right from purchase. Jodi Johnson

From
 the Manufacturer
For flush cutting capability, increased versatility, and less bending of blades, DeWalt's Heavy-Duty Reciprocating Saw Kit can't be beat. This kit features a 4-position blade clamp for inserting blades in two vertical and two horizontal cutting orientations. Ten amps of cutting power and a 1-1/8-inch blade stroke easily cut through thicker stock. A variable speed trigger operates from 0 to 2,800 strokes per minute to match the tool speed to the cutting application. A lever-action blade-changing system means faster blade changes and less downtime. Compact and lightweight at 17-1/2 inches long and just 7.0 pounds, this saw is fantastic for tight quarters. Your purchase includes a durable carrying case.

Nick Gravagne, RPT

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=48681-70-DW304PK&lpage=none

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359