Tuning stability and efficiency

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 20 07:59:00 MDT 2008

Ben- (Ben Gac, RPT, isn't it?)

You are asking all the right questions, and using very good techniques.
There are so many kinds of pianos, in so many different conditions, that there is (in my opinion) no fixed answer to your question.
Much of what a fine tuner knows is embodied in the non-verbal parts of the person, and can be sometimes observed, but never fully and correctly put into words.
Working as an aural tuner, and doing the various aural pitch adjustments you are doing will build expertise into your body. ETDs can teach you other things about pianos, but don't let them over-ride your aural connection.
Being in a place where you can watch great tuners at work will yield almost magical benefits.
I think you are already a fine tuner, and if you keep exploring the various techniques you mention, you will become even better.
If you read back issues of the Journal, you will find many techniques more well-known at a time when more technicians tuned aurally. Dan Levitan is a very accomplished aural tuner who wrote many good articles in the 1990's.
The most common thread is multiple passes, two quick passes are better than one slow pass. If the instrument is very close, I don't think the question of when the unisons are tuned, or what sequence is used, is of any importance.

Ed Sutton (Hoping to be a real tuner before I die or go deaf.)