More pinblock stuff - an alternate tool

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Thu Aug 21 08:57:49 MDT 2008

Dale,

RE the DeWalt Recip saw for cutting out pinblocks.

Tom McNeil was kind enough to reply in depth to my private email. Here it
is:

Hi, Nick -

Good to hear from you!  Things are fine here in Vermont, and I thank you for
the good wishes.  Here's hoping everything is well with you and that your
air conditioning is holding up!

If I had a pinblock to excise, I'd take some photos for you.  But that's not
going to happen right away.  A short vacation starts for me and Liz
tomorrow, then seven action overhauls in a row!

The chuck for this saw is essentially two chucks in one.  One of the
blade-receiving slots is central to the whole chuck, much like any
conventional reciprocating saw.  But on this model only (DW304P) there is a
second slot at a right angle to the regular one.  If you hold the saw by its
"pistol" grip, this second slot is close to where the "front sight" would
be.  For our purposes, the saw is held vertically with the pistol grip
turned away from the stretcher.  The chuck slides along the top of the
pinblock and the blade is close to the stretcher.  (I think that in an
earlier post I said you could cut within an eighth of an inch from the
stretcher. I'd revise that to say a generous quarter inch.  But no matter,
it's closer than I dared cut with the chain saw I used to use!)

The actual chuck reciprocates within a guard shell of heavy stamped steel.
(And it's this shell that prevents the saw from being truly flush cutting.)
The shell is three inches long, flat sided, and smoothly finished.  This
shell slides along the back face of the stretcher about where the front
flange of the plate will be.  The gear housing of the tool continues in the
same plane as this shell.  And the next five inches of the housing is
covered in heavy rubber, almost as if the designer knew it would be running
close to the exposed upper part of the back face of the stretcher.  If the
piano is to be refinished, this rubber might be enough protection for the
stretcher.  However, I like to tape thin cardboard (Cheerios boxes are great
for this) along the back face of the stretcher to preclude any scuffing.

Reciprocating saws don't plunge cut into hard maple very well; so I drill a
three-quarter-inch hole through the pinblock at a convenient starting place
near the middle of the stretcher.  Then I can cut along the stretcher, say
toward the bass.  When that cut is finished, I remove the blade from the
chuck and install it facing the other way to complete the cut from the
starting hole toward the treble.  Then the same saw easily makes cuts along
the inner face of the rim at either end to free the old block.  A
quarter-inch strip of old pinblock remains glued to the stretcher.  That's
easily enough removed with a bit of careful chisel work.  Some more careful
chisel work is needed to chop out the remaining ends of the pinblock in the
corners.

No, this saw doesn't have a "lock-on" feature on the trigger.  That might be
nice I suppose, since I usually hold the trigger with my thumb for this
work.  That would be a real bad arrangement if you were doing this work for
any considerable length of time.  But following the procedure I've given
here, the saw is back in its very nice case in about ten minutes!

Please feel free to share with our colleagues on Pianotech List, and CAUT
List.

~ Tom McNeil ~
Vermont Piano Restorations
VermontPiano.com