more on floating pitch

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Thu Aug 21 12:45:43 MDT 2008

List,

I need to go back through the archives and see where all the proponents
of floating live and work.  Surely not in the temperate zones of North
America.  Today I tuned a Yamaha P22 at the local elementary school.  It
was last tuned in March, to A=440 at about 38%RH.  Piano pitch at 68% RH
today was:  A0 +0, A1 +3, A2 +5, A3 +18, A4 +12, A5 +24, A6 + 35, A7
+20.  No matter where I decide to set the pitch of this piano, it's
going to require a pitch correction.  Floating wouldn't save me any time
or effort, nor would it improve the stability of the piano.  This is the
norm for the upper midwest, and I suspect for much of the country.
Floating might work on the coast or in the desert, but not here.

Mike