Tuning stability and efficiency

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 13:35:35 MDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Ben Gac <ben at benspianotuning.com> wrote:

> Well Terry, I'll try not to let my bruised ego get too
> offended ;)  I am an RPT, and in fact just took the
> tuning exam again at the convention this last June in
> order to begin training to be a CTE.  I don't want to
> spout my credentials to everyone to show how great of
> a tuner I am, but if you're interested you can read my
> bio on my webpage, www.benspianotuning.com.
>
> Overall, despite my training and my fun and fortunate
> experiences, I just can't stop thinking about the BEST
> way to tune.  We all have something to learn, and I
> like to explore an many avenues as possible to get the
> best result.  I think that one can't call something
> his own unless he finds it himself; and that's what
> I'm looking for in this particular facet of the trade.
> I'm sure there will be many more questions to come...
>
> I learned how to tune by using a strip, and for some
> of us the habit dies hard, especially when a new
> method takes longer!  I suppose I could have re-worded
> "pitch raise" as well--I meant to use the phrase to
> label those types of pianos that would without
> question need more than one pass to get in tune.  I
> suppose that in the end I should consider doing more
> than one pass instead of teetering on the edge of
> passable with one pass!  Thanks for your help, Terry.
>

> -Ben Gac, RPT
> "Answers are for those who don't have the courage to
> live with questions."
>
> ______________
>
> Ben - Can I assume your are a beginner at piano
> tuning? Have you taken any sort of course? What avenue
> have you taken for training? I don't mean to be
> condescending with my comments here, but this is as
> fundamental to piano tuning as anything gets. If you
> have not studied from some authoritative source, I
> highly recommend pursuit of such.
>
> That being said, yes, you are correct - a piano must
> be at or within a couple cents of standard pitch to
> tune it - especially aurally. Any time you make
> significant tension changes to a string, you affect
> the pitch of nearby strings. The more accurate that
> you want the tuning, the closer to pitch everything
> needs to be at the start.
>
> "...aren't quite 'pitch raise material....." Just
> completely exorcise that phrase from your head! Pitch
> has nothing at all to do with the quality or age or
> condition of a piano - period. A beat up 1951 Betsy
> Ross spinet has just as much need to be tuned to
> standard pitch as the new Fazioli grand in the bay
> window overlooking the lake - in fact it may be even
> more important because the kids may actually be
> permitted to PLAY the Betsy Ross.  99+% of pianos that
> I come to that are flat, I raise up to standard pitch
> with a separate pitch raise pass and I charge for it.
> The only time I don't is if it is someone (little old
> lady?) who isn't taking lessons, doesn't play with
> other instruments, isn't doing choir practice, etc.,
> etc. AND has expressed a desire to "tune" the piano as
> economically as is possible.

> [...]

Hi Ben,

I have what will sound at first like an over simplification for you but I
believe most will agree.

You stated that you can't stop thinking about the best way to tune. The
answer is the way that feels/works best for you.

Years ago our chapter, as an experiment, had each tech present, all aural
tuners, tune a note in a temperament and it was just awful! My point is we
all have differing methods, things that work for us, If you ask 5 techs how
to perform a given task you will likely get 3 differing methods, at least.
We are all individuals and we work primarily alone so we find what works
best for us and that becomes our best.
Occasionally we pick up a tip or trick at a meeting or seminar but for the
most part we figure it out for ourselves, we are the final arbitar of what
works best us as individuals.

So try the differing methods presented here and in the books but don't feel
you have to do something a certain way because someone else told you it was
the right way to do it. It only means it was the right way for them, it may
not work for you, you may need to modify it or try another way.
Remember it has to feel right/sound right to you.

I've been tuning almost 40 years, I stopped concerning myself with anyone's
opion but myown after the first 10. It's very calming.
<Grin>

Mike
--
I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work.
Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com