more on floating pitch

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 21 19:17:14 MDT 2008

Well, I will tolerate between 439 and 441 for tunings at this time of the year in my heck of the woods. I've installed dampp chasers in my universities and colleges AND I will not tune practice pianos at this time of year. I'll do the classrooms and teaching pianos, but the practice pianos I will only do in november and march. I sold them the idea that this was the most practical thing to do if they want to have reasonably tuned pianos they can use during school semesters. No matter what I would do to pianos at this time (They've been left in closed unventilated rooms all summer), the tunings will be out by october when the heating starts. I explained that they would get more for their money if only they suffered out of tune pianos for the first month. And, if I get in a room where the piano's dampp chaser is not connected, I will not tune it, notify the person in charge that since I've just plugged the system, I will have to come back after 2 weeks to tune it unless they want to pay for the pitch correction and tuning for now and also later. This usually works for me. Even partial dampp chaser (humidistat and dehumidifier only) can help these otherwise desperate situations.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC