Yamaha U1

pianoguru at cox.net pianoguru at cox.net
Fri Aug 22 06:49:19 MDT 2008

The jack rail is effective in improving repetition..  Julia, you'll notice that in other upright actions there may be felt on the back side of the let-off rail to serve the same purpose, or a felt block on the jack near the top, or a smaller felt block on the back of the catcher, all serving the same purpose. The difference is that the rail is adjustable, to achieve the absolute minimum of necessary movement away from the hammer butt.  The same screw that mounts the rail is the adjusting screw.  If the threads of the screw were the same along its length, turning it would affect no change in the rail position, but the threads through the rail are "faster" threads than at the tip where it enters the main rail, allowing for the tiny bit of movement to finely control its adjustment.

Frank Emerson